Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Art of being Unproductive

I haven't quite perfected it, but pretty soon, I'll be able to pat myself on the back, sit back down on the couch where I've been hibernating for the past few weeks, and say with a grim sense of satisfaction, "I've done it. Good job, you. A plus." And then I'll commence doing what I've been doing, which is essentially Nothing.
Doing Nothing can be very relaxing and satisfying for the first few days after A Big Event - in my case, it was returning home from a year of teaching abroad. I needed those few days. But then those days continued and I no longer felt so relaxed; my old restless energy, coupled with the boredom of being unemployed made me feel as though I'd entered Loserville. It was only a matter of time before my meager savings would dry up and I'd feel like a middle-aged waste of space. I'm NOT saying that unemployed people are a waste of space; I realize this economy's been hard on a lot of people. It's just how I feel about myself, right now.
The future's a funny thing. How do the days pass by so quickly? I wish I knew how to get ahold of its tail and tell it to just SLOW. DOWN. NOW.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you are having such a rough time finding a job! I can imagine how frustrating it can be. Have you thought about volunteering somewhile you job hunt? An unpaid internship is also a great way to get out of the house but also get your foot in the door.

    Sorry, I hope these suggestions don't seem obvious! I can understand how hard it is to be unemployed so I hope that changes for you soon.

    Good luck Bonnie!

    PS - I love the name of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ack, times are hard these days...it's hard to find a job. I'm having a tough time just finding an internship that pays minimum wage! Don't worry too much though..what can worrying do, except make your "off" days seem more depressing? I'm sure the perfect job will come round...fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete